Skip to main content
Advertisement

Four Track Workers Killed After Being Hit by Train North of Tokyo

Four track maintenance workers died after being struck by a limited express train at Shin-Kanuma Station north of Tokyo on 20 August 2026, as authorities investigate a rare failure of Japan's rail safety systems.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··3 min read·How we work
A train travelling on tracks across a field

Four maintenance workers died after being struck by a limited express train at Shin-Kanuma Station, north of Tokyo, Japanese authorities said. The collision occurred at around 10:46 a.m. local time (01:46 GMT) on 20 August 2026, while the men were clearing weeds from the railway tracks, according to local media reports. Three of the workers were found trapped beneath the train when emergency crews arrived, while a fourth was located on the platform; all four later died of their injuries.

According to the Japan Times, the deceased were men in their 50s and 60s, and emergency services were first alerted at approximately 10:47 a.m., per a regional news agency.

What train was involved and who else was on board?

The train has been identified as the six-car limited express Spacia X2, which was travelling from Tobu Nikko Station to Tobu Asakusa Station in Tokyo, the Japan Times reported. The service is among the fastest in the country, ranking just behind the Shinkansen bullet train. Tobu Railway said seven workers in total had been carrying out weed-clearing duties at the site when the accident happened, and that roughly 50 passengers were aboard the train, none of whom were injured.

A passenger told the national public broadcaster NHK that they heard a strange noise moments before the train came to an abrupt halt:

"Strange noise" before the train made an emergency stop.

The same passenger said travellers remained stuck on board for some time while staff investigated the source of the noise. Separately, according to a Japanese news outlet, a passenger said the train applied its emergency brakes shortly after entering the station.

Advertisement

How has train service been affected?

The Tobu Nikko Line was suspended following the accident, according to the operating railway company. Later on 20 August 2026, the company confirmed that services specifically remained halted between Shin-Tochigi and Shimo-Imaichi stations, per the Japan Times.

Why is this incident considered unusual?

Fatal accidents on Japan's extensive rail network are rare, a point reinforced by a state news agency report, which noted the country's generally strong rail-safety record. Track workers are typically protected by a lookout system designed to warn them of oncoming trains before they arrive. A representative from Tobu Railway explained the standard procedure:

"The usual lookout system was operating as normal - when a train approaches, a lookout waves a flag and, once the driver acknowledges it, sounds the horn. We are currently investigating why the accident occurred despite this."

The Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported that it remained unclear whether a lookout had been properly stationed at the site at the time of the accident on Thursday morning.

The incident echoes an earlier case in Britain, where a Network Rail worker died after being struck by a train near Radlett while managing a sinkhole issue; that case is also still under investigation, as detailed in our earlier coverage.

What happens next?

Police and firefighters are continuing to investigate the exact circumstances of the collision, according to the Japan Times. Investigators are expected to determine whether the lookout system failed, was improperly positioned, or was not functioning as intended when the workers were struck, according to a report from a national broadcaster.

Key Facts

  • Four workers died after being struck by a limited express train at Shin-Kanuton Station, north of Tokyo, on 20 August 2026.
  • The train was the six-car Spacia X2, travelling from Tobu Nikko Station to Tobu Asakusa Station.
  • Seven workers were clearing weeds from the tracks; around 50 passengers on board were uninjured.
  • The Tobu Nikko Line was suspended, with services later confirmed halted between Shin-Tochigi and Shimo-Imaichi stations.
  • Police and railway officials are investigating why the standard lookout warning system did not prevent the accident.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News