Zambian security forces arrested 11 people, among them senior opposition figures, and seized weapons on the night of 14 August 2026 in connection with an alleged insurrection plot, the government has confirmed. The raid took place in the capital, Lusaka, days after Thursday's presidential election, with vote counting still under way and no final result declared.
According to Zambia's top civil servant, Patrick Kangwa, the leading opposition candidate, Brian Mundubile, was present at the scene of the operation. Mundubile described the incident as a direct threat to his safety, saying colleagues were shot while he was present.
"an attempt on my life" ... "colleagues were shot"
With results in from more than half of the country's 226 constituencies, Mundubile is trailing incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema, despite having earlier claimed victory and alleging widespread voting irregularities. Officials have rejected those claims, and international observers described election day itself as largely calm, though they flagged concerns over late electoral reforms and restricted media access in the run-up to the vote.
What did officials say about the raid?
Kangwa said those detained were linked to "military plans involving foreign nationals and illegal military training camps," describing the group as a serious danger to national security.
"a serious threat to state security"
He said the suspects were found in possession of high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other equipment allegedly intended for use in an armed uprising, and that gunfire was exchanged after shots were fired at law enforcement officers. Among those held is Patrick Mwansa, husband of Tasila Lungu, daughter of former president Edgar Lungu, along with several other political figures. The detainees are currently being held at various police stations across Lusaka.
Separately, according to a report from a Middle East-based broadcaster, Mundubile's party alleged that armed personnel entered his Lusaka residence and wounded a member of parliament, with several individuals still unaccounted for as of Sunday, 16 August 2026.

What has the opposition alleged?
Mundubile has made a series of accusations about how the election was conducted, including claims that military personnel were present at vote-tallying centres and that ballot boxes were tampered with. He also said he was questioned by army officers over two videos he had released, and alleged he was assaulted while in custody — an allegation the authorities have denied.
He further accused Tanzania of dispatching individuals to interfere with the Zambian vote, a claim the Tanzanian government has strongly denied as baseless.
How has the vote count been affected?
Zambia's electoral commission briefly paused the counting and announcement of results on Friday, 14 August 2026, citing violence directed at polling staff and the theft of marked ballot papers. The suspension was lifted later the same day once officials said the security threat had been brought under control, a move confirmed by .
The same report indicated that, with 105 of 226 constituencies declared, Hichilema held roughly 43% of the vote, a figure closely matched by Mundubile, who had secured about 830,841 votes, also near 43%, leaving the outcome highly uncertain. also noted that police had already arrested nine suspects in connection with the killing of a polling agent near Lusaka on election day itself, an incident separate from the later insurrection-related raid.
What do we know about earlier arrests?
The Lusaka raid was not the first security operation tied to the election period. Interior ministry officials said one person detained in an earlier, pre-election plot case was a 56-year-old Kenyan national accused of cybercrime targeting state systems, according to a South African broadcaster's report. A separate account, from a Kenyan news outlet, said three former senior government officials were also among those detained, accused of providing technical assistance intended to disrupt the electoral system.
The crackdown extended to figures connected to Mundubile's campaign even before polling day. Police reportedly stormed his media centre and detained a former diplomat, Martha Lungu, along with a blogger working with his team, according to a local Zambian news site. The Catholic relief agency Caritas raised concerns on election day itself about the continued arrest and detention of politically active citizens at undisclosed locations, as reported by a Catholic news agency.
Despite the arrests and the tense atmosphere, the overall mood among Zambians awaiting the final result has remained relatively steady, though some uncertainty has followed the government's disclosure of the raid, and a heightened police presence has been noted in parts of the capital.
What happens next?
The final outcome of the presidential election remains unknown, with counting still continuing after Friday's brief suspension, according to . Interior ministry officials have also indicated that several people arrested during the earlier pre-election operation were invited or summoned for further questioning, suggesting additional investigative steps are likely in the days ahead.
Key Facts
- Eleven people, including senior opposition figures, were arrested on 14 August 2026 over an alleged insurrection plot in Lusaka.
- Opposition candidate Brian Mundubile said colleagues were shot during the raid, which he described as an attempt on his life.
- reported Hichilema and Mundubile each near 43% of the vote with 105 of 226 constituencies declared.
- Nine suspects were separately arrested over the killing of a polling agent near Lusaka on election day.
- A 56-year-old Kenyan national and three former senior officials were arrested in an earlier, related plot investigation.







