Skip to main content
Advertisement

Burrows to Name Successor to Nesbitt as Northern Ireland Health Minister

Ulster Unionist leader Jon Burrows is set to name a new Northern Ireland health minister after Mike Nesbitt resigned amid a row over emergency surgery services at Causeway Hospital.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··6 min read·How we work
Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) leader Jon Burrows (left) and Mike Nesbitt MLA (right). Both men are wearing dark jackets and white shirts. Burrows is wearing a navy striped tie. He is balding. Nesbitt, who has glasses, is wearing a grey tie.

A replacement for Mike Nesbitt as Northern Ireland's health minister was expected to be confirmed on Thursday, 20 August 2026, following his resignation from the role the previous evening amid a dispute with Ulster Unionist Party leader Jon Burrows. Nesbitt stepped down after accusing Burrows of introducing what he called a "second red line" over plans to withdraw emergency general surgery from Causeway Hospital in Coleraine.

Nesbitt described his time in the health portfolio, which he had held since May 2024 according to a broadcaster's report, as "the greatest privilege of his political career." He set out his reasons for quitting in a resignation letter dated 18 August 2026, which he later published on social media, making the internal details of the row public, including his claim that Burrows had added a second red line over Causeway Hospital, according to an Irish broadcaster's report.

Burrows said he was "disappointed" that Nesbitt had resigned but insisted his successor would "get going with gusto." He confirmed he would reach a decision "overnight" and would name the new minister on Thursday, while declining to rule out taking the position himself. The Ulster Unionist Party separately confirmed that Nesbitt "has chosen to resign" and thanked him for his service, according to the same broadcaster.

What was the row over Causeway Hospital about?

Last week Burrows, who represents North Antrim, told a town hall meeting that he opposed moving emergency general surgery (EGS) away from Causeway Hospital. The Northern Health Trust had recommended that EGS be concentrated at a single site, with the service transferring to Antrim Area Hospital, and trust bosses had put forward the change for the department's consideration.

It is understood the Department of Health was still awaiting a final recommendation on the move when the dispute broke out. Nesbitt had been unable to attend last week's town hall meeting because of a constituency election event in Strangford, and Burrows attended in his place, using the occasion to voice his opposition to the closure.

"Emergency surgery must remain at the Causeway Hospital and it should be built up, not run down and that is my position and it's not for negotiation."

Burrows stopped short of saying whether he would instruct Nesbitt not to sign off on the transfer. Nesbitt later said he was unhappy to have learned his party leader's position on such a significant issue through media reports rather than directly, according to a broadcaster's publication of his resignation letter. The Causeway dispute is understood to have followed an earlier disagreement between the two men over puberty blockers, which Burrows had previously designated as a first "red line," according to the Irish broadcaster's account.

Retired consultant Fergal Tracey, who still works within the Northern Health and Social Care Trust, said he was unhappy about Nesbitt's resignation. Speaking after a committee meeting of the SOS Causeway Hospital campaign group on Wednesday evening, he warned that removing EGS from the hospital would have serious consequences.

Advertisement
"I live here, I know what's going to happen to me, my family, my neighbours. It's going to be catastrophic for them in terms of acute healthcare in the medium and longer term."
A man, with short white hair, wearing glasses, a dark red tie and a blue shirt.
Retired consultant Fergal Tracey said he was not happy about Nesbitt's resignation

Retired theatre sister Irene McLaughlin said she saw no benefit in relocating the EGS service to Antrim. She said she believed Burrows understood the depth of local feeling and the risks of removing services from the area.

"I think it only makes sense that [EGS] should be retained at Causeway."

She added that her priority had always been the welfare of patients in the area, saying she remained committed to securing the best possible outcome for them.

A woman, with short grey hair, wearing a green top and a necklace.
Retired theatre sister Irene McLaughlin said services should be retained

How have health service leaders and other parties reacted?

On Wednesday, health service bodies voiced support for Nesbitt, saying he had "offered strong political leadership" and had "listened to clinical leaders." Those organisations included the Royal College of Surgeons, the NI Confederation for Health and Social Care, and the British Medical Association. Separately, health leaders were reported to have said Nesbitt had given "robust political guidance" during his time in office, according to a national broadcaster's report.

Nesbitt's tenure had already been marked by high-profile challenges. He previously called on health leaders to be more vigilant in hospitals following inquiries into systemic failures, as detailed in earlier coverage of his push for greater scrutiny in hospitals. He had also apologised for abuse uncovered at Muckamore Abbey Hospital, describing it as a "true scandal" after a report revealed physical abuse of patients and systemic failings within the Belfast Trust, as covered in previous reporting on the Muckamore Abbey findings.

Stormont's health committee was due to convene on Thursday with departmental officials, including the department's permanent secretary, at the request of committee chair and Sinn Fein MLA Philip McGuigan. McGuigan said the committee needed clarity on what decisions would fall to an incoming minister.

"We have seven months left of this mandate, we have important decisions that need made and important legislation coming before us. So we need to be assured that internal wranglings within the UUP aren't going to impact patient safety, patient care across the north and the work that our staff are doing to provide excellent care for our citizens."

Democratic Unionist Party leader Gavin Robinson said that if the Ulster Unionists chose not to nominate a health minister, his party — next in line under the current rules — would do so instead. Robinson described Nesbitt's resignation as a "setback" for public "confidence" in the health service and urged Burrows to act swiftly.

"I don't think it is helpful or fruitful for there to be this hiatus within health."

What happens next?

Burrows confirmed that the new health minister would be named on Thursday, 20 August 2026, according to a broadcaster's report. The Ulster Unionist Party was expected to consult colleagues over the following days before finalising who would take on the health portfolio, according to a local news outlet.

An urgent Stormont health committee session was convened to assess the practical implications of the resignation and to seek assurances on how ongoing decisions, including the Causeway Hospital review, would be handled during the transition, according to a regional news service.

Key Facts

  • Mike Nesbitt resigned as Northern Ireland's health minister on Tuesday, 18 August 2026, in a letter dated the same day.
  • The dispute centred on plans to move emergency general surgery from Causeway Hospital in Coleraine to Antrim Area Hospital.
  • Jon Burrows pledged to name a successor on Thursday, 20 August 2026.
  • Health bodies including the Royal College of Surgeons and the British Medical Association publicly backed Nesbitt after his resignation.
  • The DUP said it would nominate a health minister if the Ulster Unionists declined to do so.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News