President Donald Trump said on 16 August 2026 that he had instructed the Pentagon to scale back a major joint military exercise with South Korea, arguing that his personal rapport with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un made the drills unnecessary. The announcement came even as military officials in Washington and Seoul have separately warned that Pyongyang is absorbing new battlefield lessons from Russia's war in Ukraine.
Trump said he was "not happy" with the scale of US involvement, framing his objection around his relationship with the North Korean leader.
based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong-un
He went on to argue that the drills were expensive and diplomatically counterproductive.
send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a country that, as long as Donald J Trump has been president, has been unthreatening and respectful
Trump added that it was too late to call off the exercise entirely, so he had directed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" it instead.
Why is the exercise continuing despite Trump's order?
Because the drills, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, had already been locked into the military calendar, they began as scheduled on 17 August 2026 and are due to run through 27 August, according to . Roughly 18,000 South Korean troops are taking part alongside US forces, and the exercise is built around scenarios involving counter-drone operations, GPS disruption and cyberattacks meant to test defenses against North Korea's evolving capabilities, according to . Pyongyang had already denounced the upcoming drills before Trump's announcement and vowed to respond with a stronger nuclear deterrence, per the same reporting. Separately, the Japan Times reports that this year's iteration of Ulchi Freedom Shield had already been trimmed somewhat compared with the previous year's exercise, before Trump ordered the additional reduction. Earlier reporting on the announcement noted that North Korea had threatened a strong response to the scheduled drills even before Trump's remarks.
What concerns remain about the USS Abraham Lincoln?
Democratic lawmakers have pressed the Trump administration over conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, citing worries about crew morale, mental health and living standards during an extended deployment. Arizona Democratic Senator Ruben Gallego attributed the carrier's prolonged time at sea to the unresolved conflict Trump launched against Iran in February 2026, as well as what he characterized as weak leadership within the administration more broadly. The Iranian standoff has continued to generate friction for the White House in the months since, including disputes over ceasefire compliance in the Strait of Hormuz region described in earlier coverage of the ceasefire tensions.
How is Jared Kushner pursuing Gaza ceasefire diplomacy?
Trump's son-in-law and envoy Jared Kushner held talks in Egypt on Sunday, 16 August 2026, as part of a renewed diplomatic push to revive the stalled Gaza ceasefire. He was scheduled to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday, 17 August, who has faced pressure since rejecting a 15-point, US-backed roadmap for the territory.

According to the Washington Post, Kushner's meeting with Netanyahu was set to take place in Jerusalem following his separate talks with Hamas figures in Egypt. Reporting from Middle East Eye identifies Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya as among those Kushner met in Egypt. The proposed roadmap envisions Hamas gradually surrendering its weapons while Israeli forces halt attacks and begin withdrawing from Gaza, but Netanyahu has said Israel will not pull back from any position until Hamas is fully disarmed. Since the ceasefire took effect on 10 October 2025, Israeli forces have killed more than 1,200 Palestinians in Gaza and wounded more than 4,100 others, according to figures from Gaza's health ministry. Kushner is said to be pushing for "concrete, verifiable steps" toward Hamas disarmament and an end to any future Hamas role in governing the territory, according to Al-Ahram.
Will Todd Blanche pledge independence from the White House?
US Attorney General Todd Blanche declined on Sunday to commit to always acting independently of Trump and the White House, telling NBC that no attorney general should be expected to make such a promise. He maintained that Trump would never ask him to cross an ethical or legal line.

I swore to the constitution of the United States, like every cabinet secretary has done, and like every attorney general before me has done. And so, this narrative that's mostly pushed by the left and pushed by the media that the president's going to pull me aside and ask me to do something illegal is completely a false narrative, not true, will not happen and hasn't happened.
Why did Senator Bill Cassidy rebuke Trump's vaccine remarks?
Republican Senator Bill Cassidy, a physician who voted to confirm vaccine skeptic Robert F Kennedy as health secretary in early 2025, criticized Trump on Sunday over comments questioning the safety of the combined measles-mumps-rubella vaccine, warning that such remarks undermine public trust in immunization.

Asked about Trump's suggestion that parents could safely give children six separate shots instead of the combined two-dose MMR vaccine with no adverse effects, Cassidy told CNN:
If it wasn't so potentially tragic, you would break out laughing at a comment like that.
What else is happening today?
Actor Hayden Panettiere, known for roles in television series including Heroes and Nashville, died at age 36. Her father, Skip Panettiere, requested privacy.

as our family takes time to process this unimaginable loss
A former Ukrainian defense minister said Kyiv has produced domestic ballistic missiles for the first time in months. Wildlife groups in Florida are reporting a strong breeding season this year, though experts caution that Trump's recent rollback of the Endangered Species Act could threaten decades of conservation progress. Tommy John, whose name became attached to the ligament-replacement surgery that has revived countless baseball careers, died at age 83; John was 31 when he tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow and underwent a procedure replacing it with a tendon from his right forearm. The University of Cambridge issued a statement following the death of academic Jason Arday, who was found dead on Friday weeks after resigning as professor of sociology of education amid widespread press scrutiny over plagiarism accusations and inconsistencies in his career record.
How severe was the flooding in Indiana?
At least six people have died in Indiana since storms began on 11 August 2026, according to state homeland security department spokesperson Liz Woods. The victims included a four-year-old boy, two men and three women.

How are students responding to school phone bans?
A growing number of students are organizing and developing programs to adapt to tech-free learning environments following bans on phone use in many US schools.

Could health issues shape Iowa's midterm race?
Iowa has the second-highest cancer rate in the country and is one of only three states where cancer cases are climbing, making the disease a central concern for candidates ahead of the 3 November 2026 midterm elections, in which the state could help determine control of Congress for the remainder of Trump's term.

What is behind the mysterious horse racing betting coup?
A string of unheralded horses have unexpectedly won races, and unknown bettors appear to have profited significantly from wagers placed on them, raising questions about whether the pattern reflects extraordinary luck or something more coordinated.

Why is the UN desertification summit drawing more attention?
As large parts of the northern hemisphere experience what could become the hottest year on record, with wildfires burning across North America and Europe and heatwaves affecting millions across Asia, the United Nations' biennial desertification talks are drawing greater international focus and funding, with discussions centered on how to allocate a $12bn fund.

What was unveiled in Poland?
A Polish village with a population of just 150 has unveiled what is believed to be Europe's tallest statue of the Virgin Mary, standing 182 feet tall.

What happens next?
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are set to continue through 27 August 2026 despite Trump's order to reduce US participation, according to . Kushner's talks with Netanyahu were expected to continue into the following days as part of the broader effort to revive the Gaza ceasefire roadmap, according to the New York Times. Kushner's wider itinerary through Israel and Egypt had been planned as follow-up diplomacy on the Gaza roadmap, according to .
Key Facts
- Trump ordered a reduction in US participation in the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise with South Korea, citing his relationship with Kim Jong-un.
- Despite the order, the drills began on schedule on 17 August 2026 and are set to run until 27 August, involving about 18,000 South Korean troops.
- North Korea has denounced the exercise and threatened a stronger nuclear deterrence response.
- Jared Kushner met Hamas officials in Egypt before planned talks with Netanyahu on the stalled Gaza ceasefire roadmap.
- At least six people have died in Indiana flooding since storms began on 11 August 2026.







