Skip to main content
Advertisement

O'Neill Plays Down Chances of New Celtic Signings Before LASK Clash

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill plays down the prospect of fresh signings before Wednesday's Champions League play-off opener against LASK, while backing Reo Hatate to fight for his place.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··4 min read·How we work
Reo Hatate has yet to feature for Celtic this season

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says he does not expect further squad additions ahead of the Champions League play-off first leg against LASK at Celtic Park on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, while confirming he is open to midfielder Reo Hatate remaining at the club despite limited game time this season.

O'Neill addressed reporters ahead of the UEFA registration deadline, which falls at 10:59pm UK time on Tuesday, 18 August 2026. According to readceltic.com, Celtic retain the ability to register up to two further eligible players for the tie before that cut-off, even though the manager suggested fresh arrivals were unlikely.

There's a fairly decent chance of nothing happening.

The club has already been busy in the transfer market this summer. Camilo Duran and Kasper Hogh have impressed since joining, and Mika Baur and Haissem Hassan have also recently come in. Duran's move followed his medical as Celtic's first summer signing from Qarabag, while Hogh arrived from Bodo/Glimt in a club-record deal reported at around £11m, having undergone his medical within 24 hours of the move being announced.

Hassan's arrival has since been formalised. Per Sky Sports, the Egypt winger has signed a four-year contract from Real Oviedo for an initial fee of approximately £6m, potentially rising to £9m, with the club holding an option to extend for a further year. His arrival meant Celtic had reinforcements in place in time to be considered for the LASK qualifier, according to the same report.

Why is Celtic short of midfield options?

The club's midfield has thinned out following the weekend sale of Arne Engels to West Ham. O'Neill acknowledged the club has not yet lined up a direct replacement and conceded that replicating Engels' physical output against the Austrian side would not be straightforward.

Advertisement
It would have been nice to have kept Arne for the couple of games, because he knows the players, knows his role in the team. But it's not to be. We'll have someone else in there. It might be Baur, I'm not sure yet. He's just getting to know the team.

Engels' exit is the latest in a string of high-profile departures and speculation involving Celtic's core midfield and attacking players, an issue previously explored when uncertainty first surrounded the futures of Engels, Daizen Maeda and Callum McGregor.

Baur made his first Celtic appearance as a 59th-minute substitute during Sunday's 4-0 win away at Dundee United. With Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain suspended for the LASK first leg, O'Neill indicated Baur is the likeliest candidate to start in midfield.

What is Reo Hatate's situation at the club?

Hatate has yet to appear for Celtic in any fixture this season and last started a match back in April, in a 2-0 defeat at Dundee United. The 28-year-old Japan international joined the club in 2022 and remains under contract until the summer of 2028.

It's been a bit of a struggle for him [of late]. What I would love Reo to do is get back to the form he showed a couple of years ago when he was one of the best players in Scotland. There have been [transfer] enquiries, but nothing definitive. That may well happen. If Reo wants to stay and battle for his place in the team and says he's capable of doing it, I have no problem with that.

During his time at Celtic, Hatate has won five league titles, three Scottish Cups and two League Cups, underlining the trophy-laden context in which O'Neill is now assessing his role.

What happens next?

Celtic face LASK, the Austrian champions, at home on Wednesday, 19 August 2026 at 20:00, with kick-off details confirmed via live match coverage. The return leg is scheduled for Tuesday, 25 August 2026 at 21:00 in Linz, according to information published on LASK's official site. Whichever side loses the tie on aggregate will drop into the league phase of the Europa League rather than the Champions League.

Before then, the UEFA deadline for Celtic to register any additional eligible players for the first leg passes at 10:59pm UK time on Tuesday, 18 August 2026. Celtic's next domestic fixture after the first leg is away to St Johnstone on Saturday, 22 August 2026.

Key Facts

  • Champions League play-off first leg: Celtic v LASK, Celtic Park, Wednesday, 19 August 2026, 20:00
  • Second leg in Linz scheduled for Tuesday, 25 August 2026, 21:00
  • UEFA player registration deadline: 10:59pm UK time, Tuesday, 18 August 2026
  • Haissem Hassan signed from Real Oviedo on a four-year deal worth around £6m, rising to £9m
  • Reo Hatate has not started a match since a 2-0 loss at Dundee United in April and remains under contract until 2028

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News