Skip to main content
Advertisement

Stourbridge Couple Return to Ruins of 26-Year Home After Wildfire Destroys Street

Robin and Loxie Williams returned to their gutted Stourbridge home on 17 August, three days after a wildfire destroyed 19 properties and damaged 18 more amid record UK heat.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··6 min read·How we work
A woman with brown hair, glasses and a white patterned T-shirt next to a man with a green cap, blue shirt and sunglasses with one arm over her shoulder and the remains of their fire-damaged home behind them

Robin and Loxie Williams walked through the wreckage of their four-bedroom house on Ounty John Lane in Stourbridge for the first time on Sunday, 17 August 2026, three days after a fast-moving wildfire reduced much of their home to ash. The couple, who had lived there for 26 years, lost almost everything, with only a teacup, some paperwork and a few scorched items of clothing surviving from a pile of ironing left in the kitchen.

The Williamses had been out with friends on Thursday, 13 August, when they returned to find their road sealed off by firefighters. Loxie, 78, said a friend sent them footage of the blaze that they struggled to comprehend.

"Somebody sent us a clip, which we couldn't believe," said Loxie, 78. "When you saw those flames coming out of the top you just couldn't believe it."

The fire was one of several that broke out across Stourbridge and other parts of the West Midlands that day, coinciding with the hottest temperatures recorded in the UK so far this year. Nineteen properties across five streets were completely destroyed, and a further 18 in the town sustained damage.

An aerial view of houses damaged by fire with a number of properties largely destroyed
The fires destroyed 19 homes and damaged many others

How much of the house was lost?

Loxie said virtually all of the couple's possessions were destroyed, and they have been told it could take more than two years before the house is rebuilt.

"I got up early that morning because we were going out and I knew it was going to be hot," she explained. "I did the ironing before I went and there's a mountain of [burnt] clothes."
The shell of a two-storey fire-damaged home with its roof and windows missing
Loxie Williams believes the home could take more than two years to rebuild

Did firefighters try to save the property?

Crews worked hard to protect the house but were ultimately unable to stop the flames, according to Loxie, who said fire teams had been "fighting a losing battle" before redirecting their efforts to safeguard neighbouring homes.

A fire damaged building with windows missing, collapsed beams and blackened walls
Crews tried hard to save the couple's home, but Loxie Williams said they had been "fighting a losing battle"

Robin, 82, who spent 68 years working as a butcher in Oldbury before retiring in 2024, said the day had begun pleasantly. "It was so quick," he said, describing how swiftly the fire took hold after the couple had enjoyed what he called "a lovely day out with some friends."

Despite losing their home, both praised the firefighters' efforts, acknowledging that the blaze had simply outpaced what crews could achieve.

What did they find when they returned?

Escorted by the fire service, the couple - married for 59 years - returned to Ounty John Lane on Sunday to survey the damage for the first time. A cordon remains in place around the affected properties.

Advertisement

Robin's garden, which had been a long-standing personal project, was also destroyed, even though some neighbouring properties escaped serious harm. Trying to put the experience into words, Loxie said simply: "Words can't describe it."

A two storey home with a large garden and a car parked in front of a garage, all covered in snow
The couple moved into their 1960s-built home in 2000

How did the wildfire start and spread?

West Midlands Fire Service said it was first alerted to a large grass fire near Stourbridge Golf Club, in the Racecourse Lane area, at around 1.30pm on Thursday, 13 August, before the flames spread rapidly toward Ounty John Lane and Stourbridge Road, according to the fire service's incident update. More than 100 firefighters were deployed as the blaze eventually spread across roughly 500 acres, damaging or destroying a total of 37 properties.

According to West Midlands Ambulance Service, six people were treated at the scene, with two taken to Russell's Hall Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. The fire service separately reported six casualties on scene, including three firefighters, and said all recorded injuries were minor and mostly related to smoke exposure. Earlier reports from emergency services, cited by a wire agency report, put the initial firefighting effort at around 60 personnel and noted that nearby rail services were suspended as a precaution.

How does this fit into the wider picture?

The Williamses' experience echoes accounts from other residents who described the blaze as a horrendous ordeal that swept through the town during record heat, with officials still checking for hotspots the day after the fire broke out. Fire chiefs later said they had been under "incredible pressure" while battling 11 major blazes across the region within 48 hours, with fundraising efforts for affected families surpassing £75,000 combined. A broader breakdown of the emergency response across the West Midlands has also been detailed in coverage examining what is known about the Stourbridge blaze and related incidents, which noted crews worked into a second day to bring the fires under control amid an intense regional heatwave.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer visited the fire-affected area on Thursday, 14 August 2026, and said the country needed to "face up to changing climate," according to a European news outlet's report on his visit.

What happens next?

West Midlands Fire Service said by 15 August 2026 that the Stourbridge blaze was under control and no homes remained at risk, according to a national broadcaster's live coverage. Specialist fire investigators are continuing to examine what caused the fire, which remains unconfirmed, and cordons and road closures are expected to stay in place around the worst-affected streets while that work continues, per the fire service's update.

With nowhere else to go immediately after the fire, the Williamses were taken to Stourbridge Town Hall, where volunteers provided support. Loxie said she was struck by the response from both volunteers and firefighters.

"I couldn't believe how people gave up their time to go and care for people."

She added that the firefighters had been "just so caring." Only two properties on Ounty John Lane were completely destroyed, though several others sustained partial fire damage. Loxie said of the crews: "They worked extremely hard to try and put this out."

Key Facts

  • Robin and Loxie Williams lost most of their possessions when their Ounty John Lane home of 26 years was gutted by fire on 13 August 2026.
  • Nineteen properties across five streets in Stourbridge were destroyed and 18 more damaged, with the fire service reporting 37 properties affected in total across roughly 500 acres.
  • Six people were treated at the scene, including three firefighters, with two taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, according to ambulance and fire service statements.
  • Fire officials said the blaze was under control and no homes remained at risk by 15 August 2026, though the cause is still under investigation.
  • Prime Minister Keir Starmer visited the site on 14 August 2026 and linked the fires to the need to address climate change.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News