Radio broadcaster Trevor Nelson has revealed that he stepped away from his on-air duties earlier this year after doctors discovered he had a brain tumour, telling followers on Thursday that the operation to remove it had gone "incredibly well." The 62-year-old, who last presented live on 26 June 2026, said he wanted to end weeks of speculation about his absence by explaining what had happened, though he plans to share more detail in the future.
In a video posted to Instagram, Nelson acknowledged the intense curiosity surrounding his sudden break from broadcasting.
There's been a lot of speculation as to what's wrong with me, I know that much. My phone's blown up 20 times over with people asking what's wrong with me. I felt that I should at least tell you what was wrong with me. I'm not going to go into it all now and I will deep dive into it at a later date so you can hear the full story.
He described the moment his diagnosis emerged as disorienting for both himself and those closest to him.
I was minding my own business and then it was discovered I had a brain tumour. I was shocked, my world was turned upside down, it was a shock to myself and close family and friends and you can imagine quite literally my head was all over the place.
How is Nelson feeling now?
He says he is recovering steadily and already feels close to his old self after a demanding few months. Nelson explained that since the procedure he has spent his time at home resting, recuperating and undergoing follow-up post-operative treatment.
I feel energised and almost back to myself, yes I've had a really serious situation but I've come out the other side at this point and I feel great. I feel raring to go and I feel in good health.
According to a report published on 20 August 2026 by the Standard, Nelson has since described himself as "on the mend," offering an even more direct update on his condition than his earlier statement. A separate update covered by Metro quotes him saying he feels good and expects to return to work very soon. Nelson has also said he has resumed hobbies such as golf and going to the gym, and he has asked fans not to worry about him while thanking them for their support.

What has the reaction been?
Colleagues and charities have responded warmly to his disclosure. Dan Knowles, chief executive of the charity Brain Tumour Research, noted the scale of the condition nationally.
Every day, 35 people are diagnosed with a brain tumour. We thank Trevor for sharing his diagnosis and treatment, helping to raise awareness of this disease and the impact it has on families across the UK. We are thinking of him and wishing him well as he navigates this journey.
Fellow Radio 2 presenter Zoe Ball said it was "so good to see your face and learn that you're doing well," while DJ Clara Amfo praised his "brilliant surgeons" and sent her love. Comedian Romesh Ranganathan wrote "much love legend" on Instagram, and The Brain Tumour Charity also left a message of support, telling him they are "thinking of you and your loved ones during this time" and offering to talk if he needs it.
What led up to this announcement?
Nelson first signalled trouble on 26 June 2026, when he told listeners he was taking a break from work due to health issues, saying at the time he was following medical advice and focusing on recovery, shortly after marking 30 years with the broadcaster. A report from that period says his break began after a routine health check led to further tests, and that the corporation's music director, Lorna Clarke, had publicly wished him a swift recovery once he stepped back from broadcasting.
What is Nelson's career background?
Nelson built his reputation at Kiss FM in London before moving to Radio 1 in 1996 to host Rhythm Nation. He later worked in television, fronting MTV's black music programmes The Lick and The Lick Chart, and went on to present his own shows including Trevor Nelson's Urban Choice and The Lowdown. He was awarded an MBE in 2002 for his contribution to the Millennium Volunteers programme, and he currently presents a weekday afternoon show on Radio 2 as well as a late Sunday morning slot on 1Xtra.

What happens next?
Nelson has indicated that a fuller account of his diagnosis and treatment will follow at a later date, once he is ready to "deep dive" into the full story. Per the report from Metro, he expects his comeback to begin with a return to radio broadcasting, with live DJ appearances to follow afterward.
- Nelson last broadcast live on 26 June 2026 before announcing his health-related break.
- He underwent surgery for a brain tumour, which he says went "incredibly well."
- Brain Tumour Research says 35 people are diagnosed with a brain tumour every day in the UK.
- He expects to return to radio first, followed later by live DJ sets, according to Metro.
- Nelson has presented on the BBC since 1996 and marked 30 years with the broadcaster earlier in 2026.







