Skip to main content
Advertisement

Sydney Swans Players Referred to Police Over Alleged Melbourne Hotel Incident

Several Sydney Swans players have been referred to police after an alleged incident at a Melbourne hotel, as Victoria Police investigate a sexual assault report in East Melbourne.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··3 min read·How we work
A pair of blurry legs in the foreground with a line of Sydney Swans players in the background

The Sydney Swans have referred an unspecified number of players to police following an alleged incident at a Melbourne hotel on the night of 16 August 2026, the Australian Football League club confirmed. Victoria Police separately said detectives are investigating a report of sexual assault at a hotel on Wellington Parade in East Melbourne, with the incident reported to have occurred in the early hours of 17 August 2026.

The alleged incident took place hours after the Swans defeated Essendon at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. According to Nine News, the players were staying at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel at the time, and police have asked anyone with relevant information to come forward to Crime Stoppers.

What has the club said?

Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich told a press conference on Monday that the club was still working to establish exactly what occurred, and declined to detail the specific allegations involved.

Safe to say, we're extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place, and that the players have found themselves in this situation.
There's going to be lots of speculation, but given it's a police matter right now, that is all we can say.

Pavlich would not confirm whether any arrests had been made or specify how many players were connected to the matter. According to a national broadcaster's report, the Swans had already issued a public statement shortly after midday on Monday acknowledging that several players were involved in an alleged incident in Melbourne and confirming that the AFL had been notified.

Advertisement

What are police investigating?

A Victoria Police spokesperson said the report under investigation concerns an alleged sexual assault at a hotel on Wellington Parade in East Melbourne, occurring in the early hours of the morning.

The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

How is the AFL responding?

In a statement, the league confirmed that the Swans had made it aware of the matter, which remains under Victoria Police investigation. According to the national broadcaster's report cited above, the club has also begun its own internal inquiries, running alongside its cooperation with police and the league's oversight.

What does this mean for the Swans' season?

The incident emerges at a pivotal point in Sydney's campaign. The club currently sits second on the 2026 ladder, having won 17 of its 22 games this season, and is due to play North Melbourne on Sunday in the final round before the finals series, where the top six teams progress.

What happens next?

Victoria Police's investigation into the East Melbourne hotel report is continuing, alongside the AFL's own review and the Swans' internal inquiries, according to the national broadcaster's report. No further details on arrests, charges or the number of players involved have been made public.

Key Facts

  • Alleged incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade, East Melbourne, in the early hours of 17 August 2026.
  • The Swans were staying at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel following their win over Essendon at the MCG.
  • Club CEO Matthew Pavlich declined to specify the number of players involved or confirm any arrests.
  • Sydney is second on the 2026 AFL ladder with 17 wins from 22 games and faces North Melbourne on Sunday.
  • Victoria Police, the AFL and the club are all conducting separate ongoing inquiries into the matter.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News