Skip to main content
Advertisement

Serco Worker Charged Over Leaked Asylum Seeker Addresses in Thetford Unrest

A Serco employee, James Jobson, 62, has been charged with misconduct in public office for allegedly leaking addresses of asylum seeker accommodation in Thetford, later targeted during violent disorder.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··3 min read·How we work
Breaking News

James Jobson, 62, of Highlow Road, Costessey, near Norwich, has been charged with misconduct in public office after allegedly disclosing the addresses of properties housing asylum seekers in Thetford, Norfolk. He appeared before Ipswich Magistrates' Court on Monday and was remanded in custody ahead of a further hearing at Norwich Crown Court on 14 September 2026. The charge follows three consecutive nights of violent disorder earlier this month, during which crowds targeted specific homes believed to be occupied by asylum seekers.

Jobson is employed by Serco, a company contracted to provide accommodation for asylum seekers in the area.

Which properties were targeted?

The disorder centred on houses in St John's Way, Bracken Road, Clover Way, Elm Road and Chester Way. Witnesses reportedly described hundreds of people descending on the Clover Way area during the worst of the unrest, according to a national broadcaster's report.

What has been said about the investigation?

Norfolk Police confirmed the charge relates directly to the leaking of address information later used to identify targets during the disturbances.

Advertisement
Release of information relating to a number of addresses in Thetford, which were later targeted during several nights of violent disorder in the town.

Serco has said it is unable to disclose the number of asylum seekers housed in Thetford or their specific locations, citing safety concerns, according to the same broadcaster's coverage.

How did the disorder affect residents and police?

Officers moved asylum seekers out of the affected Thetford properties for their own safety as the unrest escalated, according to a follow-up report. Norfolk Police also said some officers were injured while intervening to protect residents during the disorder, as detailed in a report from a national news outlet.

What led to the unrest in Thetford?

The disturbances followed local anger over proposals to house asylum seekers at the former RAF Barnham site, where authorities had suggested accommodating as many as 1,250 people, according to an explainer on the disorder. Reports also indicate that a list of addresses had circulated on local Facebook groups before some of the named homes were targeted, according to a political magazine's analysis. Norfolk's police chief said protesters had been deliberately targeting addresses they believed were linked to asylum seekers, warning that officers had been forced to escort residents away for their own protection, according to a regional broadcaster's interview. Separately, government figures cited by a national broadcaster indicated that around 40 asylum seekers were living in the wider Breckland district, which includes Thetford, as of March 2026.

What happens next?

James Jobson is scheduled to appear at Norwich Crown Court on 14 September 2026 in connection with the misconduct in public office charge. In a related case tied to the wider disorder, Brian Thompson, 68, was due to appear before Norwich Magistrates' Court on 25 August 2026, according to a national news report.

Key Facts

  • James Jobson, 62, of Costessey, Norwich, charged with misconduct in public office.
  • He worked for Serco, which provides asylum seeker accommodation in Thetford.
  • Homes in five streets, including Clover Way, were targeted over three nights.
  • Norfolk Police removed asylum seekers from properties for their safety during the unrest.
  • Jobson is due at Norwich Crown Court on 14 September 2026.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News