A man in his 60s was left with chest injuries after a stag attacked him during a picnic in Richmond Park on Saturday, 15 August 2026. Royal Parks confirmed the animal had approached the man's group in search of food before the attack, and the deer was subsequently put down on welfare and safety grounds.
Emergency crews were called to the south-west London park at 18:16 BST after reports of a deer attack. The Metropolitan Police said the injured man was taken to hospital, where doctors assessed his condition as neither life-threatening nor life-changing.
What happened during the attack?
According to Royal Parks, the male deer wandered towards a group having a picnic while looking for food, then turned on the man in his 60s, causing chest injuries. Police and paramedics attended the scene shortly after the 18:16 BST call, and the man was subsequently taken to hospital for treatment.
Why did Royal Parks decide to put the stag down?
Royal Parks said the animal's conduct left it too dangerous to remain in the park, and a wildlife officer employed by the charity shot the stag at the scene.
We understand from the police that thankfully the injuries were not life-threatening.
Sadly, the stag's behaviour meant that it had to be put down as it was deemed to be a danger to visitors.
If visitors follow our advice and do not feed or interfere with the deer, it is highly unlikely that they will exhibit this type of behaviour.

How has Royal Parks addressed the risk of feeding wildlife?
The charity, which manages London's royal parks, says the attack coincided with a rise in social media posts showing members of the public feeding wild deer.
This is highly dangerous behaviour.
Deer in Bushy and Richmond Parks are wild animals and should never be fed, approached or touched.
Royal Parks warned that regular feeding can cause deer to
lose their natural wariness of people and seek out food from visitors,a shift in behaviour that endangers both the animals and the public. Visitors to Richmond and Bushy Parks, which together span 3,600 acres and host large deer populations, have been told to stay at least 50 metres away from the animals and to move away slowly if approached, according to the charity's guidance published on a national broadcaster's report. Separate guidance from the charity states that visitors should keep 100 metres away if males appear particularly active, as detailed on the Royal Parks charity's website.
We need everyone who visits to take responsibility for their own behaviour and to keep themselves, other visitors and the deer safe.
Notably, a fresh warning about feeding wildlife had already been issued by Royal Parks just days before the attack, after footage emerged showing visitors feeding deer in both Richmond Park and Bushy Park, according to a broadcaster's report. Coverage of the incident spread widely across national outlets on 17 and 18 August 2026, with reports confirming the stag was shot dead after causing injury during the picnic, as noted by The Independent.
What historical incidents highlight the danger?
This is not the first time Royal Parks has raised concerns about public interaction with wildlife in its grounds. In May 2026, the charity reported close to 150 incidents over a 28-month period involving dogs running off-lead and chasing or attacking deer across London's royal parks, according to a national broadcaster's report. The charity has also repeatedly urged visitors during the autumn rutting season to keep dogs on leads and avoid standing between two rutting stags, as outlined on the charity's official advice page. Earlier, in July 2026, reports emerged of families being seen touching and feeding deer in Richmond Park, prompting renewed calls for caution, according to a national broadcaster's report.
What happens next?
Royal Parks says it will continue urging visitors to keep their distance from deer and avoid feeding or touching them, though no inquest, hearing or further formal review has been announced in connection with this incident, based on information from the charity's park guidance page.
Key Facts
- A man in his 60s suffered chest injuries in a stag attack in Richmond Park on Saturday, 15 August 2026.
- Emergency services were called at 18:16 BST; the man's injuries were assessed as not life-threatening or life-changing.
- The stag was shot by a Royal Parks wildlife officer after being deemed a danger to the public.
- Richmond and Bushy Parks cover 3,600 acres combined and are home to large wild deer populations.
- Royal Parks advises staying at least 50 metres from deer, rising to 100 metres during periods of high male activity.







