Skip to main content
Advertisement

Over 1,200 Kent Homes Hit by Water Outages Amid Heatwave Strain

More than 1,200 Kent properties faced no water or low pressure as burst pipes, heatwave demand and technical faults strained South East Water's network, prompting bottled water stations and wider hosepipe restrictions.

By The UK Pulse Editorial Team··5 min read·How we work
South East Water staff handout bottled water at a water collection point near Herne Bay

More than 1,200 properties across Kent were left without running water or with severely reduced pressure as of 17 August 2026, after a combination of burst pipes, high demand and technical faults overwhelmed South East Water's network. The company said engineers were working to restore supplies in several affected areas, including Charing, Challock, Molash, Benenden, Rolvenden and Blean, while bottled water stations remained open to support residents.

South East Water confirmed that around 800 properties in the Charing, Challock and Molash area had been without drinking water since the weekend, with teams still working to bring supplies back online. The firm said it was sorry for the ongoing disruption to households in the area.

Why are so many properties affected?

The company said a mix of factors had converged to place unusual strain on its infrastructure. In Benenden, Rolvenden and nearby villages, roughly 400 properties experienced low pressure or no water following recent pipe bursts combined with a surge in demand during the hot weather. Separately, a technical fault in Blean, near Canterbury, left the firm unable to pump water into the local system, prompting a further apology to customers there while repair work continued.

Herne Bay also suffered renewed problems on Monday morning, despite supplies having been restored overnight after disruption on Sunday. South East Water said the storage tank feeding the town remained critically low, forcing engineers to focus on rebuilding reserves.

Advertisement
"We are doing everything we can to try and recharge the levels in the storage tank that feeds the area to try and make sure we can restore supplies as soon as possible," it said.

Where can residents get emergency water?

Five bottled water stations were made available to affected customers until 22:00 BST, located at the Weald Sports Centre in Cranbrook, a Sainsbury's at Altira Business Park in Herne Bay, the Sturry Road Park and Ride in Canterbury, and the Wincheap Park and Ride in Canterbury. According to a report from a regional broadcaster, a further station was also set up at Challock Village Hall, where grab bags were distributed for flushing toilets, though these were not suitable for drinking.

South East Water customers collect water from a collection point
A number of bottled water stations have opened in the affected areas

Jenny Rhodes, South East Water's incident manager, acknowledged the scale of disruption facing customers across the county.

"We are truly sorry to all our customers across Kent who are experiencing repeated disruptions."
"A combination of high demand for drinking water in the hot weather, burst pipes and power issues have placed severe pressure on our storage tanks and treatment works."
"We fully acknowledge that this level of service is unacceptable, especially during hot weather."

What has happened since the initial outages?

According to a regional news report published on 16 August 2026, water supplies were beginning to return in Benenden and Rolvenden after engineers completed repairs to a burst water main on 15 August. The same report noted that South East Water had brought in tankers and bottled water deliveries to support the network while permanent fixes were carried out. A separate update from the company on 16 August said it was still responding to incidents linked to sustained high temperatures and what it described as near-record demand for treated drinking water across Kent, according to South East Water's own updates page.

How does this fit into the wider picture this summer?

The disruption is not an isolated event. A report from 5 August 2026 found that storage tanks serving Charing, Whitstable and Herne Bay were already described as critically low, indicating that pressure on the network had been building for weeks before this latest round of outages, according to a business report from mid-August. Separately, Kent has been under a Temporary Use Ban since 3 July 2026, according to a summary published by the Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce based on South East Water's August newsletter.

What happens next?

South East Water has confirmed that temporary hosepipe restrictions are now in place not only across Kent but also in Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire, reflecting continued pressure on supplies region-wide, according to the company's official site. Customers are being encouraged to check the firm's interactive outage map for live updates on incidents in their area, via South East Water's works and outages page. Regulatory scrutiny is also continuing, with the Consumer Council for Water publishing an ad hoc action plan response for South East Water on 17 August 2026, according to the watchdog's published document, signalling that oversight of the company's handling of these repeated incidents is set to continue.

Key Facts

  • More than 1,200 Kent properties affected by no water or low pressure as of 17 August 2026.
  • About 800 properties in Charing, Challock and Molash lost drinking water since the weekend.
  • Roughly 400 properties in Benenden and Rolvenden hit by low pressure after pipe bursts.
  • Temporary hosepipe restrictions now cover Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Hampshire and Berkshire.
  • Kent has been under a Temporary Use Ban since 3 July 2026.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News