A vehicle that had lain submerged in the River Lagan near Lisburn for decades was partially removed on Sunday during a four-hour rescue operation. The Community Rescue Service (CRS) extracted the upper portion of the rusted, disintegrating car after sustained calls from residents and campaigners for its removal, though much of the wreckage remains embedded in the riverbed.
The Department for Infrastructure (DfI), which oversees flood risk management for the region's waterways, confirmed the car had been "present in the river for decades." According to a national broadcaster's report, DfI had not planned to remove the vehicle because it was not viewed as posing a meaningful threat to drainage systems or flood defences in the area.
Who actually removed the car, and how?
The Community Rescue Service carried out the physical extraction after gaining access to the riverbank and transporting specialist equipment to the site. Regional Commander Sean McCarry said the vehicle had corroded to less than half of its original form, with a substantial share of the remaining structure fused into surrounding mud and soil.
"Considering the amount of concern and public interest, it was decided for safety reasons that we should remove the visible portions of the vehicle despite their poor condition," McCarry said.
He noted that additional debris might be extracted later, once river conditions permit further work. Material recovered during Sunday's operation has already been taken away for disposal.
Why did nobody remove it sooner?
The car's presence became a matter of public debate largely due to a campaign led by the Green Party Northern Ireland and Lagan Valley Greens, who drew attention to how long the wreck had sat beside Lisburn's council boundary, according to the Green Party Northern Ireland. Separately, the Belfast Telegraph reported the dispute centred on a vehicle dumped in the river more than 40 years ago, with council and Stormont bodies accused of "passing the buck" over responsibility, according to the national broadcaster's report.
The Northern Ireland Environment Agency stated it had not previously received direct reports concerning the car, and indicated that responsibility for remedial action might instead fall to the landowner or local council, per the same report. Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council said it was continuing discussions with DfI's Rivers Agency to find a resolution.
Alliance councillor Nicola Parker, who attended the removal operation, described the extent of the car's decay after so many years underwater.
"It has been in the water for so long, that it is now paper thin and there wasn't much to hold it together."

Parker, vice-chair of Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council's environment and sustainability committee, said the recovery team struggled to shift the vehicle because its base was lodged deep in the riverbed. She said a full removal would have been the ideal outcome but proved unachievable on the day.
She also flagged broader environmental concerns tied to the car's prolonged presence in the waterway.
"It really shouldn't lie this long because of the wider pollution elements, the habitat, the ecology and the water, all of that is being affected by it," she said.
Parker pointed to confusion over jurisdiction as a source of ongoing frustration among those pushing for action.
"Legislatively, it doesn't fall under anybody's department," she said. "Each of them have slightly different remits for different parts of water, but nobody was responsible for the removal of the car and that's what we were met with every time."
"That provided us with a level of frustration because nobody was willing to say, 'let's get the better thing done here'," she added.
What happens next?
The Green Party's petition urges Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council and DfI's Rivers Directorate to formally agree on responsibility and publish a clear timetable for a complete removal, according to the Green Party petition page. The campaign, as described by Belfast Live, is built around three demands: that the car be removed, that responsibility be formally agreed, and that a proper clean-up plan be established for the Lagan.
CRS has said it will return to the site to assess and remove further visible remains once river conditions allow, though no firm date has been set. The council has indicated it will keep engaging with DfI to pursue a lasting solution, but as of now no schedule for a complete clearance has been confirmed, according to the national broadcaster's report.
Key Facts
- The car had been submerged in the River Lagan near Lisburn for approximately 53 years, according to the Community Rescue Service.
- CRS removed the upper portion of the vehicle during a four-hour operation on Sunday.
- DfI does not consider the wreck a significant flood or drainage risk.
- The Green Party has launched a petition demanding removal, agreed responsibility and a clean-up plan for the riverbank.
- No confirmed date exists yet for full removal of the remaining wreckage.







