Former Australian Test opener David Warner was convicted and fined A$1,500 on 18 August 2026 at Waverley Local Court after admitting to mid-range drink-driving, an offence he committed on Easter Sunday when he attempted to swap seats with a passenger as he approached a random breath-testing checkpoint.
According to the ABC, the court record showed Warner returned a blood-alcohol reading of 0.104, more than double the legal limit in New South Wales, and he has been ordered to fit an alcohol interlock device to his vehicle for 12 months, though the judge indicated time already spent without a licence may count toward that requirement.
What led to the arrest?
Warner was pulled over during a trip home from the subcontinent, where he had been captaining the Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League. Police allege that when he spotted the breath-testing site, he slowed the vehicle and tried to change places with a female passenger before officers identified him as the driver. He then cooperated with testing, a detail Judge Clare Farnan acknowledged in her ruling. The charge was formally recorded as mid-range drink-driving under NSW law, and Warner's guilty plea had been entered in July 2026 following the Easter incident in Sydney's eastern suburbs, according to Hindustan Times. At an earlier plea hearing, his lawyer said Warner had drunk three glasses of wine at a friend's house before getting behind the wheel, as reported by a national broadcaster's coverage of the case, which also noted he had faced a possible mandatory driving ban of at least six months, a fine of up to A$2,200 and a potential jail term of up to nine months ahead of sentencing.
Why did his legal team argue against a conviction?
Barrister Awais Ahmad urged the court to spare Warner a formal conviction, arguing that global media attention had already amounted to an additional punishment. He told the court his client's misstep had been picked up by outlets including ESPN, Al Jazeera and the Indian Express, and warned that the fallout could jeopardise Warner's prospects in T20 franchise competitions in markets such as India and Bangladesh, which Mr Ahmad said maintain a stricter "non-drinking culture."
"The consequences of his offending are profound," Mr Ahmad said. "Commercial opportunities [are] being affected."
Mr Ahmad also questioned why NSW Police had issued a press release about an offence he described as unremarkable, saying the resulting scrutiny had been intense.
"The media onslaught thereafter has been quite profound," the lawyer said.
How did the judge respond?
Judge Farnan acknowledged that Warner and his wife, Candice Warner, had been subjected to harsh commentary on social media, and she noted that his position as captain of the Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League was reportedly at risk. The Thunder, along with the Sydney Sixers and the Sheffield Shield's NSW Blues, take part in a state government initiative aimed at discouraging drink-driving. Despite these arguments, the judge said deterring the wider public outweighed Warner's personal circumstances, pointing out that more than 17,300 people have appeared before the courts for mid-range drink-driving offences over the past five years.
"I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to reoffend," she said. "[But] regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW."
The judge treated the offence as aggravated because children were present in the vehicle at the time. Warner left the courthouse without addressing reporters after the sentencing, according to the ABC's report.
What happens next?
Warner will regain the ability to drive once he applies for an interlock licence, which requires the device — designed to stop the car from starting if it detects alcohol — to remain fitted for 12 months. Based on the ABC's reporting, he is expected to comply with that condition following sentencing, though the exact timing of his return to driving will depend on how much of that period is offset by his time already off the road.
Key Facts
- Convicted and fined A$1,500 at Waverley Local Court on 18 August 2026.
- Recorded a blood-alcohol reading of 0.104, more than twice the NSW legal limit.
- Ordered to fit an interlock device to his car for 12 months.
- Offence occurred on Easter Sunday after Warner attempted to swap seats with a passenger near a breath-testing checkpoint.
- More than 17,300 people have faced NSW courts for mid-range drink-driving in the past five years, the judge noted.







