Shooting at San Diego Mosque Leaves Three Dead
Three individuals were fatally shot at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, in an incident believed to have been carried out by two teenage assailants.
The shooting occurred on Monday morning while law enforcement officers were responding to a report concerning a potentially suicidal teenager who had left home.
At 11:43 a.m. local time (19:43 BST), police received a call about a shooting at the mosque and discovered three victims shot outside the front of the building.
Shortly thereafter, authorities were alerted to another shooting nearby involving a landscaper targeted from a vehicle. Upon arrival at this second location, officers found the two suspects, aged 17 and 18, deceased from self-inflicted wounds.
Among the deceased victims was a security guard employed at the mosque who, according to officials, acted heroically to prevent further casualties; no additional details were provided.
The FBI is investigating the incident as a hate crime, citing writings found by the mother of one suspect as evidence.

Police Response and Investigation Details
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl stated during a Monday news conference that officers arrived at the mosque at 11:43 a.m. and observed what appeared to be three deceased victims outside the building.
"There were no officers involved in firing their weapons," Wahl said, "and there was no sign of any gunman."
Prior to the shooting, at 9:42 a.m. local time, the mother of one suspect contacted police to report that her son had left home taking several firearms and her vehicle. She indicated he was accompanied by another individual and that both were dressed in camouflage. The mother also mentioned a note left by her son containing generalized hate rhetoric and hate speech.
Chief Wahl noted that the suspect's behavior did not align with that of someone considered suicidal. Investigators subsequently visited a local high school attended by one of the suspects and a shopping mall where the vehicle had been spotted.
Wahl further explained that while the motive remains unknown, the attack is presumed to be a hate crime due to the mosque's prominence and location. The note left by the suspect did not include specific threats directed at the mosque or any other individual or location.
Sequence of Events During the Attack
At the time of the shooting, officers were still in communication with the mother and were located only a few blocks from the mosque. Upon discovering the three victims outside, officers entered the building and implemented active shooter protocols.
While clearing rooms, additional reports emerged of another shooting nearby. The suspects allegedly fired from their vehicle at a landscaper, who was reportedly unharmed. Chief Wahl mentioned the possibility that the landscaper was shot in the head but was protected by a hard hat, though this has not been confirmed.
Police arriving at the second scene found both suspects deceased from self-inflicted wounds.
Impact on Community and Response Measures
Children were present during the incident. The Islamic Center campus includes the Al Rashid School, which offers religious and language education. Aerial footage from the scene showed children holding hands and being escorted through the mosque's parking lot as police responded.
Nearby schools were placed on lockdown during the police response.
The FBI has requested that the public provide any information that could assist with the ongoing investigation.
Eyewitness Account
A witness who spoke to CBS News, the BBC's US partner, reported hearing up to 30 gunshots from what sounded like a semi-automatic weapon. He described hearing approximately a dozen shots, followed by a pause, then another dozen shots.
The retired man, who was eating lunch at home, stated he called 911 and that police arrived within five to ten minutes.
"The mosque gets very busy during holidays," he said. "It's a good thing it didn't happen on a Friday, because the streets would be full of people."
Community and Official Reactions
Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center of San Diego, addressed the incident at a news conference.
"It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship," he said. "The facility is a house of worship, not a battlefield."
The Muslim community was preparing for one of its holiest seasons and major celebrations, including Eid al-Adha, or the "Festival of Sacrifice," which commemorates the obedience of Prophet Ibrahim.
California Governor Gavin Newsom issued a statement expressing his horror at the attack.
"I am horrified by today's violent attack at the centre, where families and children gather, and neighbors worship in peace and fellowship," Newsom said. "The state will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith."
When asked about the shooting, US President Donald Trump described it as a "terrible situation." He added, "I've been given some early updates but we're going to be going back and looking at it very strongly," during an unrelated White House event.






