SPFL Launches Disciplinary Investigations into Celtic and Play-Off Matches
The Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) has announced disciplinary investigations into four fixtures, including Motherwell v Celtic on 13 May and Celtic v Hearts on 16 May, both in the Scottish Premiership. Additionally, two lower league end-of-season play-off matches are under review.
Incidents occurred when spectators entered the pitch following late goals at Fir Park and Celtic Park, where Celtic secured victories in their final two league games to retain the Premiership title.
The SPFL is also reviewing conduct after Hamilton Academical's League 1 play-off second-leg win against Clyde at Broadwood on 15 May, and Stenhousemuir's Championship play-off second leg defeat by Alloa Athletic on 16 May. Both Hamilton and Stenhousemuir won their ties on aggregate, and pitch invasions by spectators were reported after both matches.
SPFL Statement on Unacceptable Conduct at Matches
In a statement, the SPFL highlighted ongoing concerns regarding fan behavior at matches:
"In recent seasons, there have been a number of incidents at SPFL matches where objects have been thrown at players or members of staff, orchestrated pyrotechnic displays have taken place, and/or mass pitch incursions have occurred."
The league further noted disciplinary actions taken in the previous season:
"In season 2025-26 the SPFL concluded 11 disciplinary processes against eight clubs for such incidents.
These statistics do not include the final match days of the season and the SPFL can confirm that the [matches being investigated] are being investigated under SPFL Rules H36 and H37.
In addition to these disciplinary processes, there is a continuing need for all stakeholders to work together to address the challenges of unacceptable conduct at matches, including pitch encroachments and pyrotechnic use.
The SPFL has engaged fully in the Scottish government's consultation on football banning orders and awaits the next steps in that process."
Reactions and Ongoing Investigations
Celtic manager Martin O'Neill addressed allegations concerning the pitch invasion during the Celtic v Hearts match, stating that claims of Hearts players being assaulted have not been proven:
"The allegations Hearts players were assaulted amid Saturday's pitch invasion has not been proved."
Hearts shareholder Tony Bloom had claimed on Wednesday that Celtic supporters assaulted Hearts players as they ran onto the pitch. Police Scotland is investigating whether any criminal activity occurred. O'Neill added:
"If proof emerges then apologies are due."
Explanation of SPFL Rules H36 and H37
The SPFL provided details of the rules under which the investigations are being conducted:
"H36 The home club in any official batch must ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, H36.1 good order and security; H36.2 that policies and procedures have been adopted and are implemented to prevent incidents of unacceptable conduct; and H36.3 that any incidents of unacceptable conduct are effectively dealt with, all at its stadium on the occasion of an official match.
H37 Each Club must ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that: H37.1 its Players, officials, supporters and any person exercising a function for or connected with the club do not engage in unacceptable conduct at a stadium on the occasion of an official match; H37.2 it identifies any of its supporters who engage in unacceptable conduct at an official match; and H37.3 it takes proportionate disciplinary measures in respect of supporters so identified in terms of Rule H37.2."
- Clubs and fans should be punished for pitch invasions, says ex-SFA chief
- Title party fanzones not possible due to cost, says council






