Shooting Incident Near White House
The suspect involved in a shooting near the White House was killed in an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service agents on Saturday evening, officials confirmed.
BBC's US media partner CBS identified the suspect as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man known to the Secret Service with a documented history of mental health issues.

Details of the Shooting
The US Secret Service reported that one bystander was also wounded during the shooting, though no further information about their condition has been provided. No Secret Service officers were injured in the incident.
The shooting remains under investigation, and road closures around the White House are expected to continue overnight.
The incident took place outside the White House at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, according to the Secret Service. They informed CBS that between 10 and 20 gunshots were fired.
The Secret Service stated that shortly before 18:00 (23:00 GMT) on Saturday, a man pulled a gun from his bag and began firing. Secret Service police returned fire, striking the suspect, who was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
CBS later identified the suspect as Nasire Best.
Suspect Background
A source told CBS that Best, 21, had been arrested in July 2025 after attempting to access the White House and was subsequently sent to a psychiatric facility.
The Secret Service confirmed that one bystander was wounded by gunfire and transported to a hospital. No updates on the bystander's condition have been released.
Presidential Status and Response
President Donald Trump was in residence at the White House at the time of the shooting and has not yet commented on the events of Saturday night.
A White House official told CBS that the President has been briefed on the shooting.
Context and Related Incidents
This incident occurred approximately one month after a gunman opened fire at the White House Correspondents' Dinner.
Reactions from Media Present
Following the gunshots, reporters at the White House were quickly moved into a briefing room. Some had been filming when the incident occurred, and shots could be heard in the distance during their live coverage.
ABC News correspondent Selina Wang shared footage showing her taking cover as a volley of shots was heard across the White House's north lawn.
"We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now," Wang wrote on X.
CBS News White House associate producer Emma Nicholson posted on social media that a news crew was preparing to record when they heard what sounded like multiple gunshots and immediately "ducked to the ground." Nicholson added that they were ushered into the White House shortly afterward.
Official Statements and Ongoing Investigation
The BBC has reached out to the Secret Service, the White House, and local police for comment regarding the shooting.






