Schools as a Pipeline to Worklessness
Schools have become a “pipeline” to worklessness for a large cohort of young people in the UK, according to Peter Hyman, an influential former Labour adviser. He has called for urgent action to assist what he describes as a “lost generation.”
Hyman, who previously advised Tony Blair and Keir Starmer, told that the government should ban social media and implement radical education reform to address the “national scandal” of young people who are not in education, employment, or training (Neet).
New Report and Calls for System Overhaul
Launching a major new report expected to influence government policy on Neets in the UK, Hyman urged ministers to overhaul a system that traps young people in a “rejection economy.” He argued that they are being failed by the education system, employers, and social media companies alike.
The former headteacher expressed shock at the sadness and despair experienced by school leavers who feel abandoned, ill-equipped, and unable to enter an increasingly competitive job market. He emphasized that close to one million young people are wrongly labeled as “snowflakes,” when in reality they are being “failed by government and the state.”
Rising Neet Figures and Government Alarm
The UK currently has the highest number of young people classified as Neet in over a decade, with figures rising sharply to almost one million. This trend has fueled growing concern within the government.
In response, the former Blair-era cabinet minister Alan Milburn is set to address the crisis in youth employment next week. Speaking to MPs on Wednesday, Milburn warned that Britain risks facing a “generational problem” potentially worse than the damage caused to young people by the 2008 financial crisis.
The rate of 16- to 24-year-olds classified as Neet peaked at 16.8% in 2012 amid soaring unemployment following the banking crash. Although the rate fell subsequently, it has increased sharply again to 12.8%, driven by economic challenges and growing mental health issues.
“On the face of it we’ve got a smaller problem. But what I want to say to you is – you’ve got a bigger problem. Because the nature of the problem is more entrenched,” Milburn said.
“It’s a labour market problem, it’s a jobs crisis – but it’s being fuelled by a health crisis. And so these two things are self reinforcing: you have a vortex; a spiral. And it has enormous consequences.”
Insights from the Report: Inside the Mind of a Young Neet
The report, Inside the Mind of a Young Neet, argues that the UK must cease blaming young people for systemic failures that have let them down. Co-authored by researcher Shuab Gamote and Peter Hyman, the report is based on conversations with more than 400 young people across the UK.
It highlights that Britain’s workless youth face “a unique combination of challenges including: poverty, Covid, loneliness, social media addiction, and economic shock.”
“We have created circumstances – run the economy into the ground, locked children away during lockdown, regimented them in schools, turned a blind eye to bullying, given them the social media tools of destruction – and then let them drift.”
Failures in Education and Social Support
Hyman described the education system as joyless, noting it often failed to address bullying and mental health issues, leaving many young people without qualifications or clear pathways to training or employment.
“I was shocked by the level of vitriol and hatred these young people used when talking about school,” he added.
The report also includes accounts from multiple young people who have spent years “doing nothing,” describing this “bedroom generation” as victims of “a taught and learned helplessness that our system encourages.” These individuals often feel unable to gain the experience required even for entry-level jobs and express a desire for vocational options, more work experience, and greater flexibility from employers.
Recommendations: Social Media Ban and Youth Hubs
When asked whether the government, which is currently considering regulations on social media, should enact a ban for under-16s, Hyman responded:
“From our conversations with young people it’s clear the government needs to ban social media for the under-16s.”
He also emphasized the need for youth hubs and opportunities for young people to connect in person and acquire new skills.
“The young people we’ve spoken to crave more social connection and places to go,” he said. “It’s no good saying ‘get off your phone and do something’ if they don’t have anything to do nearby.”






