Skip to main content
Advertisement

Andy Burnham Calls for Further Reduction in UK Net Migration

Andy Burnham urges further reduction in UK net migration after figures show a significant decline. He supports Home Secretary's plans for stricter settlement rules and accepts new guidance on single-sex spaces. Burnham campaigns in Makerfield by-election aiming to challenge Labour leadership.

·4 min read
Reuters Andy Burnham is stood in front of a crowd of people, with a sign in the background containing the message "Vote Andy For Us". Burnham is wearing a white t-shirt, a dark-coloured jacket and glasses. He has short black hair.

UK Net Migration Needs to Fall Further, Says Andy Burnham

Andy Burnham has stated that UK net migration "needs to fall further" following the release of new government statistics indicating it has nearly halved since 2024.

As Labour's by-election candidate in Makerfield, Burnham noted that immigration concerns have been frequently raised by voters during his campaign.

He emphasized that the latest net migration figures—the difference between those entering and leaving the country—demonstrate a "trend is significantly down."

On Thursday, Home Office data revealed that migration contributed 171,000 people to the UK population last year, marking the lowest figure since 2012, excluding the Covid pandemic period. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer acknowledged that "there was more to do" regarding migration.

Burnham, who currently serves as the Mayor of Greater Manchester, stressed the importance of the government "getting the balance right" on its proposals to make it more difficult for migrants to settle permanently in the UK.

He expressed support for the general direction of Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood's plans.

Mahmood has defended the proposed changes as "fair" and necessary to prevent a "drain on our public finances." However, some Labour MPs, including former Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner, have criticized the retrospective nature of these proposals, describing them as "un-British" and akin to "moving the goalposts."

Burnham pointed to the ongoing consultation on the home secretary's plans, stating:

"We'll have to work hard to get the balance right, but the broad thrust of what she's doing is right."

Settlement, also known as indefinite leave to remain, grants individuals the right to live, work, and study in the UK indefinitely and to apply for benefits if eligible.

The Home Office projects that approximately 1.6 million people could settle in the UK between 2026 and 2030 if no policy changes are implemented.

Burnham's Position on Single-Sex Spaces Evolves

Burnham also addressed his stance on single-sex spaces after being asked whether he accepts the new guidance from the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (EHRC).

The guidance, approved by ministers, states that single-sex spaces—such as changing rooms and toilets—should be used based on biological sex.

Previously, Burnham acknowledged that a "small minority" have concerns about trans women—biological males who identify as women—using women's toilets.

On Friday, Burnham accepted the Supreme Court ruling that the definition of a woman under the Equality Act should be based on biological sex and affirmed that it "has to be implemented."

Ad (425x293)

He added that the ruling also clarified "that this should not be a kind of victory over other people in society, and marginalised people should not be marginalised further."

When asked if his position had changed, he told the BBC:

"I'll be honest, yes. I've followed the debate as it's gone along over the years."

Burnham stated he has "always taken a live and let live approach," and expressed a desire for a solution that is "fair but that recognises the concerns of all people and finds the point of balance and then brings people back together."

'Safe Seats Under Threat'

Burnham is seeking to return to Westminster by contesting the by-election in the Greater Manchester constituency of Makerfield.

He is widely anticipated to challenge Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer for the Labour leadership if he becomes an MP.

At his campaign launch on Friday, Burnham described a vote for him as a "vote to change Labour" and to restore "the party back they used to know."

Sir Keir has faced intense speculation about his future following Labour's poor election results earlier this month. Despite calls from numerous MPs to step down, no formal leadership challenge has been initiated.

Sir Keir stated he will campaign for Burnham in the by-election, describing it as a "straight fight between Labour and Reform."

Reform UK candidate Robert Kenyon, a councillor and self-employed plumber who finished second to Labour in 2024, commented on X that Makerfield "isn't a stepping stone" for him.

He posted a video of himself driving in his van alongside Reform leader Nigel Farage, telling Farage that Labour has taken voters in the area "for granted," and warning that "safe seats are massively under threat."

On Friday, the Liberal Democrats announced that councillor Jake Austin has been selected as their candidate.

The Green Party plans to decide on a replacement candidate on Monday after their initial choice withdrew hours after being announced.

A full list of parties that have announced candidates for the Makerfield by-election is available here.

Thin, red banner promoting the Politics Essential newsletter with text saying, “Get the latest political analysis and big moments, delivered straight to your inbox every weekday”. There is also an image of the Houses of Parliament.

for our Politics Essential newsletter to receive top political analysis, insights from across the UK, and updates on major developments. The newsletter is delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

This article was sourced from bbc

Advertisement

Related News