Red Cross Volunteers Die from Suspected Ebola in DR Congo
Three Red Cross volunteers have died in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) from suspected Ebola, likely contracted while handling dead bodies, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has reported.
The volunteers are believed to have been infected on 27 March while working in the eastern Ituri region on a project unrelated to Ebola, prior to the identification of the outbreak.
They are considered among the first fatalities in DR Congo's current Ebola outbreak, which has resulted in over 170 suspected deaths and approximately 750 suspected cases.
The IFRC stated that the volunteers died after serving their communities "with courage and humanity."
The outbreak "had not been identified" when Alikana Udumusi Augustin, Sezabo Katanabo, and Ajiko Chandiru Viviane were working with the dead bodies, the IFRC said.
The three volunteers passed away between 5 and 16 May. They had been operating in the town of Mongbwalu, now regarded as the epicenter of the outbreak.

WHO Raises Risk Level Amid Ebola Outbreak
On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) elevated the public health risk level from "high" to "very high" within DR Congo. WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also indicated that the risk across the broader African region is "high," while the global risk remains "low."
The outbreak involves a rare Ebola virus species known as Bundibugyo, which currently has no proven vaccine and has a fatality rate of about one-third of those infected.
Health experts caution that contact with the bodies of Ebola victims can transmit the virus, as bodily fluids remain highly infectious after death.
Spread to Neighboring Countries and Regional Risks
Uganda, which borders DR Congo, has reported Ebola cases as well. On Saturday, Uganda's health ministry confirmed three new cases, bringing the total confirmed infections in the country to five.
The African Centres for Disease Control has issued warnings that ten other African countries are at risk of Ebola spread. These countries include Angola, Burundi, the Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Zambia.
Flight Suspensions and Community Tensions
In response to the outbreak, DR Congo's government suspended all commercial and private flights to and from Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, as announced on Saturday.
"Humanitarian, medical or emergency flights will only be authorised after special approval from the aviation and health authorities," the country's transport ministry stated.
Earlier the same day, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) reported that a tent it had provided in Mongbwalu for treating Ebola patients was burned on Friday.
"Understandably, there are still many uncertainties and fears among the community in this rapidly evolving context," MSF said. "This incident highlights just how critical sustained community engagement and trust building are."
The previous day, an angry crowd in another part of Ituri set fire to part of a hospital after family and friends of a young man, believed to have died from Ebola, were prevented from taking his body for burial.
Challenges in Containment Due to Regional Instability
In addition to Ituri, Ebola cases have been detected in the North and South Kivu regions. Parts of these eastern areas are controlled by the M23 rebel group, complicating efforts to manage and contain the outbreak.
For more news from the African continent, visit BBCAfrica.com.
Follow updates on Twitter @BBCAfrica, on Facebook at BBC Africa, or on Instagram at bbcafrica.






